Thursday, March 12, 2015

Memoirs of a born free by Malaika wa Azania

I decided to read Memoirs of a born free by Malaika wa Azania about a week ago and finished it within 4 hours instead of the week that I had thought it would take. I haven't read a book in months so I was being realistic. I really enjoyed reading this book. I originally picked it up because I had liked reading Malaika wa Azania's (much) older facebook posts about books that educated her on Pan Africanism. I have been hoping to find more non-fiction African writers with a writing style I can relax and enjoy. I have also been fascinated by her posts about travelling through Africa which, to be honest, am increasingly finding to be a very attractive idea.


The book details a young woman's journey of self-discovery in an environment of financial, emotional and political turmoil having been raised poor, living in a shack and growing up in the first generation of South Africans to be allowed to go to multiracial schools since the unbanning of Apartheid.  She has strong opinions, having been raised in the political environment, and she defends these opinions with her sharp tongue, a quality I enjoy
in a writer.  I also enjoy lovers of books who encourage others to read with their passion for books. I hope to come across more of her work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment