Friday, April 26, 2013

Classic book adaptations by the BBC

I like the idea of classic English literature, reading it, however, is another matter entirely.  Having loved Shakespeare in high school (we read Romeo & Juliet and Julius Caesar) I had hoped to be able to enjoy more but my love of reading it seems to have peaked with Oscar Wilde and never reached that level since. Fortunately the BBC makes fantastic adaptations of classic English literature, so I can enjoy those because I find the language in the books tricky.  I tend towards the love stories, they brighten rainy days for me.

I am yet to read the Jane Austen collection of stories my best friend got me, I have been lucky enough to find a few of miniseries adaptations of her books and have probably bored her enough times with my love for them. She is also a Sense and Sensibility fan (the Ang Lee version which is dreamy and beautiful). I feel I've watched Sense and Sensibiliy and Pride and Prejudice enough times not to find the language as tricky.

I am keen on finding the Henry James collection on DVD.  I really enjoyed Portrait of a lady with Nicole Kidman in the lead role and I read a little of the book a few years back. I remember liking how he explained things. Charles Dickens is just a snoozefest for me to read, but the adaptations of his work are wonderful, I'm glad some people like him enough to make him palatable for us in other forms.

I think it would be nice if the SABC would also do this for good South African literature, even if they just made plays adapted from the books available on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment