Friday, April 26, 2013

Where to buy books?

I'm fond of books; underworld stories, collections of essays and books about sensitive people who have written in detail about suffering, whether the accounts are fictional or real. I also like books about books. So much so I often choose to buy them.  I don't have a library, I'm just sentimental about having them around, they keep my soul warm. Books are pricey in SA though. A brand spanking new book tends to cost the equivalent of 15 loaves of bread if its fiction, 20 loaves of bread if its political non-fiction or from a fifth of those prices if its at a second hand book shop.

I have bought books at Exclusive books, CNA, Bargain books, Adams, Protea Boekwinkel, Van Schaik and Juta.

I have bought books at back alleyway stalls and hidden and front-facing 2nd hand bookshops, fleamarkets and at one very stocked Hospice in Pretoria.

I have also bought books online at www.loot.co.za, www.takealot.co.za and www.kalahari.com.

Its still not enough though, I think more shops should sell books. Fashion shops should sell fashion books, Pharmacies should sell health books (Dischem does this), tattoo parlours should sell tattoo books, video shops should sell books about film, CD stores should sell books about music... that sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment