Thursday, April 18, 2013

More non-fiction

I have been trying for some time now to read more non-fiction and less fiction. I'd like to read books on subjects I'm interested in knowing more about, like music production and illustration as well as essays by the journalists of our day and books that give insight into different South African realities. I figured I've been reading fiction all my life, why not learn more about useful things for a change.

This desire for non-fiction was also inspired by two books. First I read the Quiet Violence of Dreams by K. Sello Duiker, a novel about a young man who goes to University in Cape Town and is admitted to a mad-house for some sort of cannabis-induced craziness. That book made me curious about the 28s gang; the protagonist in the book shared a flat a guy that was a 28. 

So when I saw Jonny Steinberg's book called 'The Number' I picked it up immediately. I read that and was traumatized by that account of the numbers gangs.  I really enjoy Jonny Steinberg's writing style, I really get lost in his books.

To my non-fiction end I started reading Killing Kebble...one day when I finish reading it I'll say what my thoughts on it are.

No comments:

Post a Comment